Library is located at
House No 35, Road No 24, Gulshan 1, Dhaka (Telephone No. +880-2-9850141; Fax: +880-2- 9850142 ).
The Library has an extensive collection of books, journals and magazines on Indian history, culture, education, literature, arts, politics and many other topics. Over twenty thousand books on various subjects, including fiction are available in English, Bengali and Hindi.
The Library can be used by all visitors free of charge.
Opening Hours: Saturday to Thursday - 10 a.m. to 6.00 p.m. (Fridays closed)
1. Periodicals and Magazines
The Library subscribes to over fifty magazines and periodicals, twenty newspapers on health, sports, politics, general studies, etc. in Bengali, English and Hindi languages. Most of the newspapers and magazines are published in India . In addition there are a large number of international newspapers, magazines and journals available for perusal.
2. Reference Books
Directories, University Handouts, Encyclopaedias, Tourist Guides, Dictionaries etc are available in the Library. The Library provides ready reference service to readers on various Institutions/ Educational Courses, Educational Scholarships etc in India .
3. Internet facility
Members can browse the internet free of charge.
4. News Clipping Service
Newspaper clipping service is also available which contain news on Bangladesh which has appeared in Indian newspapers published from Kolkatta in either English or Bengali languages.
5. Reprographic Service
HCI Library provides photocopy to users and a nominal rate of Taka 1/- per page is charged.
While Library can be used for reference by all visitors free of charge, there is also a provision to obtain membership to the Library for getting the books issued. The rules and regulations in this regard are as below:
- Membership fee is Taka 1000/- (Taka one thousand only), which is refundable
- Two books will be issued at a time
- Books will be issued for 14 days
- Reference books will not be issued
- Newspapers and magazines will not be issued
- Borrowed books should be returned within stipulated time or a fine of Tk one per day will be issued. Borrower would be required to replace the book or pay its cost fixed by the authorities if books are damages, lost, or pages are torn/ removed/ mutilated
- Membership of the Library cannot be claimed as a right. Violation of library rules can result in cancellation of the Membership
- To end the membership, and refund of the deposited money, member should apply at 15 days in advance.
To apply for membership, duly filled in application form , along with 2 stamp size photographs, and a refundable deposit of Taka 1000/- may be submitted to Librarian, Indira Gandhi Culture Centre, High Commission of India, House No 35, Road No 24, Gulshan 1, Dhaka.
For greater details and enquiries please visit the Library, or write an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org , or visit HCI India website- www.hcidhaka.org
Click here to download library membership application form